Originally published in 1958, The Professional is the story of boxer Eddie Brown's quest for the middleweight championship of the world. But it is so much more. W. C. Heinz not only serves up a realistic depiction of the circus-like atmosphere around boxing with its assorted hangers-on, crooked promoters, and…
Why read it?
1 author picked The Professional as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Heinz takes the day-to-day minutia of being a boxer and makes it something beautiful. While the novel follows Eddie Brown’s quest for the middleweight title, told from the cynical perspective of sportswriter Frank Hughes, what’s really being relayed is everything it takes to build up to the one moment so few people ever face—that one-on-one in the ring you’ve got nowhere to run from the truth, from yourself. Did you prepare enough? Did you give it your all? And just who in the hell are you, really?
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 45 books like The Professional.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on boxing with tough, vulnerable characters
- The best books for any fan of boxing
- The best American sports journalism books
- The best books with characters who find self-identity and learn to build self-esteem under difficult circumstances
- The best books to understand why characters struggle to achieve their goals in coming of age novels