The Practice of Oil Painting and Drawing
This instructive volume introduces not only the techniques of oil painting but also the underlying principles of figure drawing. Written by a distinguished Pre-Raphaelite painter, portraitist, and book illustrator, the treatment begins by explaining the construction of the figure, head, and limbs. Succeeding chapters illustrate these teachings with examples of…
Why read it?
1 author picked The Practice of Oil Painting and Drawing as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This book offers the technical breakdown of painting in grisaille. I only know of a few books that cover it and this one was written by an amazing painter! This was the common practice of Bouguereau and Gerome and is thoroughly explained in this particular volume as well and the rendering of planar “facets.” The practice of grisaille is an important phase in painting. The separation of color and form is partly why so many of the “masters” had such control over form and value.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 67 books like The Practice of Oil Painting and Drawing.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books for timeless art advice
- The best books on color and painting
- The best books to help you explore mixed media acrylic painting techniques, along with color and composition
- The best books on perspective, optics, and realistic illusion in art
- The best books for aspiring Pre-Raphaelite women