The Cambridge Companion to the Literature of Paris
No city more than Paris has had such a constant and deep association with the development of literary forms and cultural ideas. The idea of the city as a space of literary self-consciousness started to take hold in the sixteenth century. By 1620, where this volume begins, the first in…
Why read it?
1 author picked The Cambridge Companion to the Literature of Paris as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Beginning in the seventeenth century at the moment when Paris was redesigned, it became a great literary city and the center of the French literary tradition. For anyone interested in how the most important French writers have celebrated their city and depicted the ways in which Paris has changed over the centuries and the impact such changes have had on its inhabitants this is the perfect book.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like The Cambridge Companion to the Literature of Paris.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on what makes a city great – and in particular on what makes Paris a great city
- The best books about 1920’s Paris (les années folles—the “crazy years”)
- The best books to transport you to France, with or without a glass of wine
- The best middle grade books that capture the magic of Paris and France
- The best books about women in France