Some Things That Meant the World to Me
#8 of 10 Terrific Reads of 2009. "Charles Bukowski will dig the grit in this seedy novel, a poetic rendering of postmodern San Francisco." -O, The Oprah Magazine
A Best Book of the Year -The Nervous Breakdown
"Where Michel Gondry would go if he went down a few too many…
Why read it?
1 author picked Some Things That Meant the World to Me as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
I’m starting to feel bad it’s all dudes (and white dudes) on my list, but I think that, despite the fact that these days I only read women-written domestic psychological thrillers (they’re just better at it), when I first got straight I sought out others just like me. I didn’t think recovery was possible. Josh’s book is as harrowing and poignant and gorgeously written as they come. I mean, I think Oprah picked it for a book of the month. What more can you ask for?
Some Things That Meant the World to Me is gritty with plenty of down…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 76 books like Some Things That Meant the World to Me.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books for what addiction is really like (no punches pulled ed)
- The best historical women’s fiction about the San Francisco 1906 earthquake
- The best books to understand how the hell San Francisco turned out like it did
- The best books about our human struggles and triumphs
- The best books with psychotherapists at the heart of the story