I Am Not Esther
A classic bestseller that's been in print for over 20 years, this gripping YA thriller follows a teenage girl caught in a religious cult.
Imagine that your mother tells you she's going away. She is going to leave you with relatives you've never heard of - and they are members…
Why read it?
1 author picked I Am Not Esther as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This gripping psychological thriller centers around a girl who is caught up in a religious cult, her name changed and all her supports ripped away. How will she survive this? Will she be able to escape? Still in print after 20 years, this book won the Storylines Gaelyn Gordon Award for a Much-loved Book 2009.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 91 books like I Am Not Esther.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books for an introduction to Aotearoa New Zealand's YA writers (IMO)
- The best Kiwi picture books to get a taste of New Zealand
- The best speculative young adult fiction from Aotearoa New Zealand that will challenge you to think harder
- The best books with young people trapped by draconian rules
- The best books on ancient mystery cults