Why read it?
1 author picked Gee's Bend as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This huge volume was another reference book for me as I researched The Quilts of Gee’s Bend. The large reproductions of the quilts showed how the women with the same material used it in different ways. Startling to see so many imaginative versions of a pattern called Housetop. Two quilts titled Flower Garden shown side by side are dazzling. And this book contains more photos of the quilters and provides information about their lives and struggles against poverty and racism. The art they produced despite their limited resources and hardships is truly an inspiration. A miracle!
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Gee's Bend.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on quilting created by African American women to tell their stories
- The best books for first-person accounts of life in the twentieth century South
- The best of African American Christian fiction
- The best books on the history of land dispossession
- The best books about African Americans in the West after the Civil War