Art & Max
Max and Arthur are best friends who both want to make art. Arthur is an accomplished painter; Max is a beginner. Max's first attempt at using a paintbrush sends the two friends on a whirlwind adventure with paints, pastels and pencils, which turn out to have unexpected pitfalls.
Why read it?
1 author picked Art & Max as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Art and Max is one of my favorite picture books because it contains humor, knowledge, great characters, and imagination. David Weisner is a master at capturing expression and pushing the limits of the imagination to amuse and surprise the reader. Art is a serious artist reptile, Max is an overexcited literal lizard that wants to learn to paint. He is a serious annoyance to Art. When Art finally agrees to let him paint, confusion on what to paint explodes into a mess. Each art mishap resembles famous artist styles and techniques. It’s a funny, clever, and imaginative book that both…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 100 books like Art & Max.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best children’s books to captivate the imagination with nature, whimsy, and humor
- The best books to help you explore mixed media acrylic painting techniques, along with color and composition
- The best books on color and painting
- The best books on perspective, optics, and realistic illusion in art
- The best books for timeless art advice