The Civil Wars in Britain and Ireland
This book provides a fresh perspective on one of the most complex and turbulent periods in the history of the British Isles. Setting the experience of Wales, Scotland and Ireland alongside England, the author examines the interplay of politics, societies and culture both within and between each of the four…
Why read it?
1 author picked The Civil Wars in Britain and Ireland as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
Still the best introductory text for students covering all major events in the Wars of the Three Kingdoms in a concise and accessible manner. This book steps away from the more Anglo-centric analyses of the conflict, looking at events in Ireland, Scotland and Wales in some detail. In contrast with the books above, Bennett also steps away from the experience of political elites and examines the experiences of ordinary soldiers and civilians during the conflict.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 99 books like The Civil Wars in Britain and Ireland.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books on the Wars of the Three Kingdoms c.1637-1653 (England, Scotland, and Ireland)
- The best history books to help you understand Irish history
- The best books of Irish fairytales, myths, and legends
- The best books on the history of policing, crime, and society in Ireland
- The best books on lesser-known aspects of Irish history