In Search of Wealth and Power
In a serious effort to divine the secret of the West's success in achieving wealth and power, Yen Fu, a Chinese thinker, undertook, at the turn of the century, years of laborious translation and commentary on the work of such thinkers as Spencer, Huxley, Adam Smith, Mill, and Montesquieu. In…
Why read it?
1 author picked In Search of Wealth and Power as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
This book was recommended to me in graduate school and was a natural fit for the kind of comparative research I was then busy with concerning the global dispersion of national ideas among cultural elites in the nineteenth century. That story is contextualized here through an examination of the life and thought of Yen Fu (1854-1921). Shwartz's work was immediately praised as a model for such a study and continues to appear frequently in bibliographies and course reading lists.
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 89 books like In Search of Wealth and Power.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books which document the spread of nationalism throughout the modern world
- The best books about why the past matters for the future
- The best books on Christian Nationalism in the United States
- The best books on why identity issues are so hot in history
- The best recent books on Bismarck and Imperial Germany (1871-1918)