Attuned to a world of natural signs-the stars, the winds, the curl of ocean swells-Polynesian explorers navigated for thousands of miles without charts or instruments. They sailed against prevailing winds and currents aboard powerful double canoes to settle the vast Pacific Ocean. And they did this when Greek mariners still…
Why read it?
1 author picked Hawaiki Rising as one of their favorite books. Why do they recommend it?
How did Polynesians navigate without instruments in voyaging canoes made with stone-age tools to discover and settle an isolated island chain in the middle of the Pacific, over 2,000 miles from their ancestral homelands in Tahiti and the Marquesas? Their navigational practices are lost in time, but the Polynesian Voyaging Society was established in 1975 to explore how it might have been done. Low tells the story of the society’s early work, a marvelous combination of adventure, exploration, and research that contributed to the contemporary revival of the spirit, pride, values, and traditions of the ancient culture. Also highly recommended…
Our community of 10,000+ authors has personally recommended 45 books like Hawaiki Rising.
5 book lists we think you will like!
- The best books for understanding traditional Hawaiian culture before visiting Hawai‘i
- The best books for understanding contemporary multicultural Hawai‘i
- The best nonfiction books to read before your Hawaii vacation
- The best historical fiction about Hawaii
- The best authentically Hawaiian books for tweens and teens